First off let me say that I was having the same problem. I use iCloud to sync with my google calendar because google and MS refuse to cooperate anymore. Anyway… like everyone else I was wanting to set my iCloud calendar as the default so things would show up on my phone. I was going through all the settings and saw the suggestions about changing the data file but I’ve completely screwed up my outlook settings doing that before so I wasn’t about to try that.
Then… I did something that totally blows the mind.
I right clicked on the calendar in the list. At the bottom of the box are “move up/move down” options.
Move the calendar you want as default to the top of your list.
Yes folks, it’s just that simple.
Let me explain a bit better so everyone knows what is going on.
When you have multiple calendars open, there are tabs across the top of the calendar pane. Clicking on a tab then makes that the ‘active‘ calendar. Rearranging the calendars in the list then sorts the order they are open when you start Outlook. The very top list then becomes your ‘default’ when you open outlook. HOWEVER, if you change the active calendar during the session then it will add new appointments to the currently active calendar.
Few notes: You can set your iCloud calendar as the default calendar and your appointments will show up on your apple device, but ONLY if you are showing your iCloud calendar on your phone.
If, like me, you are using Google Calendar, then you have to sort of do a few workarounds to get everything playing happily.
- On your apple device, add your google calendar and make it and your iCloud calendar showing.
- I will state right now I don’t remember how I got my gcal to show up on my outlook. Honestly I think I just synced my phone and there it was.
- Go to https://www.icloud.com/#calendar and sign in. Down at the bottom you’ll see next to the word “DAY” an icon to show your calendar list. Next to each name is the “share” icon, click it and make the calendar PUBLIC. Either copy the URL given or send yourself an email with this link.
- Go to https://icaltogcal.com/ and put the link from iCal into the box and hit “Continue”
- Copy the new URL it gives you
- Go into GCal, Add new calendar from URL and use the new proxy link.
- Give it awhile and your iCloud calendar will show up in your GCal.
Why do it this way? Well, as much as I’d love to just have ONE calendar, at least this way I can see all my appointments everywhere, even if Outlook will only post to iCal, and web GCal will only post to itself. Both calendars post fine on my phone and everything shows up in both Outlook and on the web.
Hope this helps others.
Originally posted on the Microsoft Community forums HERE.